Friday, February 6, 2009

Hulk Vs. Reviewed

I've been buying Marvel Animation features ever since they been putting a lot of efforts in 'em, starting with Ultimate Avengers.
I was pretty pleased with U.A. The second one sucked though. Big time. And then the Iron Man one was pretty bad too. I was going to buy the Doctor Strange one also, but then i saw a cover showing him with a mystical two-handed sword and knew i wouldn't like the movie.

Then i saw this trailer:

And i thought... hey, looks like they might get the characters right for once! And it's not drawn like the faggy X-Men Evolution! I'm definetly checking this one out.

And so i did. A good double feature, packed with action, cool scenes, and winks at comics.

Hulk vs Wolverine was the one i liked the most. First of all, Logan's attitude and voice is perfect. How he moves, his body stance, makes me think of the good old x-men tv series (can't wait for them to go on dvd, see video at bottom of post!).

Hulk is also well portrayed, and finally they leave Bruce Banner almost completely aside. I know he plays a big role in Hulk's existence, but the real-life movies sucked because too much attention was put on Dr. Banner.

The bad guys are also well drawn and sound right, except maybe for Deadpool. I'm a big fan, and so more judgmental i guess. I think that his voice should be more gritty, but his attitude is just right. Except that he doesn't do anything useful in the movie, wich is a huge letdown. But still, a very funny character in general. I don't really understand why Omega Red is there though... i thought he was Russian?

Hulk vs Thor is also really cool, lots of characters from Asgard are shown, and character portrayal is very well done also. My favorite scene is when Hulk punches Thor through a mountain, but not with one single hit. No, Thor's back is to the rock, and Hulk keeps punching, punching, until it digs a tunnel all the way through hehe.

You also don't really have to be well-versed in Marvel lore but it helps. Some stuff you will ''get'' only if you read the comics. I was surprised to see blood and that level of violence. In both movies you watch Hulk pummel the unconscious bodies of both Wolvie and Thor without them trying to defend themselves. If i was a kid i'd be slightly disturbed. Then again, i didn't grow up with the internet since i was born.

All in all, a good pick and a worthy addition to your collection!

90s X-Men tv series:



Spider-Man 90s tv series just for fun!


1 comment:

  1. I think the largest standing point for me when it comes to X-Men, and especially when it comes to X-Men *animated* (and believe me, this is where I really start nerding out because I swear, I've treat XME like religion for *years*) is in the fact that there are such gaping, wide-mouthed plot holes in enough places that fandom has a riot - which is to say that fanwriters can grab a plot point and run... assuming you're into that sort of thing. (I am. Clearly.) WATXM hasn't proved much better, and highlighting the cashcow is a point-blank turn off in any scenario for me. (On what grounds would Charles Xavier, in all his fucked up manipulative glory, *ever* hand over a team to Logan? Seriously.)

    I wouldn't call the art "faggy", per se, although if you *really* wanted to talk subtext, I wouldn't be opposed (in this case, I'm afraid, it's got more of a Wolverine/Rogue bent... supplanting the original Wolverine-Jubes dynamic of the original XTAS series, and Adjectiveless for that matter... and P.S. Did you *not* follow the X-Men panel from NYCC today?! They mentioned something about a "Dark Wolverine" with hints at a Thunderbolts x-over, but I kind of fuzzed out on the details. It's Daken... likely branching out from that whole "Original Sin" debacle which, in my opinion, was hardly worthy the time and effort to read: Torture, in a nutshell.)

    I had a point: Steve Gordon drew both XME and WATXM. He's still got the character sketches for an XME version of Emma Frost on his site. Sans skin. Pity.

    So your "faggy" point is officially moot, but, I'll give you this:

    One Genoshan collar to rule them all...

    ReplyDelete