Wednesday, January 21, 2009

NHL 09, second period



Well, this is a little follow-up to one of my previous blogs about NHL 09, and also an introduction to my latest dynasty. I'm also going to try and post the development of my dynasty on this blog, for people's entertainment.


First, i played a LOT of NHL 09 in the last weeks. Perhaps... too much. On my first dynasty on the normal setting, i'm right around the end of the season. The reason i didn't go all the way to the Stanley Cup is that i lost about 3 games in the last 40, and the majority i win 5-0 or 7-2, something like that.

Also, the shoot-outs after overtime are completely impossible to win. I CANNOT score for some reason. Maybe i just suck?

Anyways. So i started a new Dynasty on Hard, with continuous OT instead of stupid shoot-outs. I re-created the Québec Nordiques. Big fan here, grew up watching them, used to live on the south shore of Québec City.
To have them in the right division, i had to replace a current team. I chose to remove the Ottawa Senators. Not that i hate them, but i just couldn't bring myself to remove any of the other teams, Sens being the team i care the less about when we play against them. Let's get some rivalry going, people!
I went for the fantasy draft, so that evil clones of players don't appear in the NHL, and played my first game with the new Nordiques this very morning. Since NHL 09 included their logo, home and away jersey, the team looks damn good on the ice.

The opening game was against the penguins. I had an equal goalie rating, and my stats for defense and offense lines were a good 5 points above theirs.
Since i play a pretty good defense in that game, i was able to obtain a victory, on home ice, for season opening, of 3-0!
I don't have my roster list with me, but i can tell you that my 1st draft pick was Malkin. My 2nd pick was a young goalie having an average overall stats of 77, but a very good potential of 93. With my facilities boosting home morale and a practice schedule focusing highly on goalies, he was able to start the season with stats of 87!
For my 3rd draft pick i was able to get the guy on the cover of the game, Dion Phaneuf, making sure my defense will be at the top of the league.
For the following picks i ditched Saku Koivu for his little brother, hoping to get the two Koivu together at some point during the season. I'm a trade-heavy GM.
I also want to point out that Saku sports a Thoughness of 99 in the game!
For the rest of the draft i aimed to recruit LWs and RWs with a high accuracy, and Defense with lots of speed and checking. I soon grew tired though, and did an auto-draft for the rest of the rosters. I'll have to clear and trade after a few games since i have way too many captains, and a player salary of 54 millions, resulting in only 2 million $ in profits.

I like profits, gentlemen. I think it influences how many times during a season you can upgrade your facilities. This also makes me think that never have i seen a game with so few available information on how the game exactly works.

This being said, my goal with this season is of course, to win the Stanley Cup, and thus re-enact the many days of my youth i lost, winning the Cup with the Nords on hard in NHL 94.
Rosters and trade info to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment