Monday, March 15, 2010

Hockey cards!

Well, just when I was starting to be good with my money.

My friend who's been collecting for years knows I like to collect stuff, that I like hockey, and that I haven't been spanding a lot of money lately.

He's been pushing for me to start collecting with him.

I might just start, too. I always wanted to get back into that hobby, looking for the signature card or for my favourite player.

But it's so expensive!

I'm used to the Magic the Gathering ratio... 15 cards for 5 big bucks, with 2 rares and 2 uncommon FOR SURE.
That's 1:15 chances for an ulra-rate, 1:15 for a gold (or a holographic), 2:15 chance for a silver.

I want to compare value, or my chances, before i start. If I'm going to waste money on a new hobby, I want it to be worth it!

I look at the hockey card insert ratios for exemple, to help me decide.
Magic the Gathering box: 36 booster packs of 15 cards, so 540 cards per box.
Out of these, you'll have 36 ultra-rare FOR SURE and 36 rare FOR SURE.
72 of my 540 cards will be worth it.
But it's also a different thing we're looking at. Those rare cards were usually also better to play with. I'm not going to play with the hockey cards, they'll be on display.
I don't even know how to calculate my chances...
Let's say i divide 1 by 15, that's ,06.
And then what?
Let's keep that number for now, I have no clue where I'm going with this.

Well actually let's just put it at 1:7.5

If I look at the Upper Deck series 2, they have a shitload of different crap, ranging from 1:8 to 1:30... Signatures, rare rookies, a piece of a shirt attached to the card... sounds like fun.

I have absolutely no clue where I was going with this, but I might just start buying hockey cards again! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment